All notable changes to this project will be documented in this file.
- Tons more animations... anyone... anyone?
- Much more tuning.
- Improve smoothing on clients when bending it.
- Support game controllers.
- Lots of physics and sprite tuning.
- Limit joins to 24 players.
- Allow late joins (keep lobby alive).
- Allow returning to lobby at end of game.
- Much more lobby stuff.
- Stoppage time.
- Hands toggle with throw ins.
- Injuries and injury faking (simulation).
- Team color selections. Back half is done. (Skin, hair, face, height, sex, etc... way down the road.)
- Rules-play mode.
- Auto-direction fine-tuning of passes and running.
- Add option for AI goalkeepers (and/or defenders).
- Consider tearing up field... locally instead of transmitting this as state... thus, each player's view will differ slightly, with the host being the official screenshot.
- Add artificial latency to the host player to match guest average.
- Team roster and stats loading (in like...... version 2?).
0.2.2 - 2021-01-03
- Tackles! ... with foul calls and cards! I created tackle art but not tripped art yet. Thus, tripped currently uses tackle art. Very rough guesses on the foul and card odds right now. The internal logic of what gets called when is too complicated to care to try to explain here.
- Can kick ball if within 1m (center to center), even if not the dribbler.
- Ball resets to center field with Alt+0.
- Aftertouch time changed from 1/2 to 3/4 sec. Rate of change in bend adjusted to match this.
- Initial bend value increased.
- Player sprites on guest browsers could face other directions while kick button is depressed, and during aftertouch.
- Circle-on-circle-collision velocity randomness fixed by dumbing the physics down, for now. Weird engine issue with the masses I was using.
- Play SFX on guest browsers whether late or not.
0.2.1 - 2020-12-14
- Direction code redux with improved sensitivity to diagonals.
- Run and sprint are now 20% faster to move a bit beyond sim and into arcade (original plan).
- Increased sprint time from 3 seconds to 4 (2 while dribbling).
- Minor menu changes. Can't start a game until at least one player chooses a team (yeah, bummer eh?, I thought a camera on a lonely soccer ball was pretty zen -- especially with several players watching).
- Kicking direction from standing always works correctly now. Why are the dumbest mistakes always the hardest to find?
- Prevent arrow key repeats from scrolling the page when not fullscreen.
- Start with sprite 0 instead of 1 from standing.
0.2.0 - 2020-12-06
- Can now bend it! Left/right/up/down. I tried a different direction than first anticipated (and diverged a bit from Sensible Soccer). Instead of using aftertouch to set one of nine kicks at some moment during or after the kick (or however they do it), I give you 1/2 second after the kick for "steering" the direction of the bend to whatever degree you want. The result can look a bit funny but, well, it's a game with simplified controls. WARNING: I may change this.
- Sprint bar turns red when low.
- Screen edge ball tracker positions correctly when player not in center of camera due to field extents.
0.1.2 - 2020-12-03
- Spectator player mode now working again if no choice was made.
- Can no longer steal host player's name.
0.1.1 - 2020-11-30
- Proper resizing to full-screen mode. After wrestling for, like, twenty-ish too many hours with the resize features of the game engine and the full-screen feature of itch.io, I think I finally found harmony between the two. No thanks to the lack of any documented best practices for either. I blazed my own trail and we'll see if I got it right. In the end, however, I totally overthought it and it was as simple as
window.inner*. I expected that to be the answer for full screen, but not sub screen. I should have just started with basic trial-and-error testing. Ugh. Still, it was a bug in the latest builds of the game engine that slowed me down most.
- Some minor UI and palette tweaks.
0.1.0 - 2020-11-26
- Invented new prediction/smoothing algorithm with decent smoothing without sacrificing latency.
- Basic kicking and dribbling.
- Ball tracker on screen edge.
- Goal colliders with scoring display, and clock.
- Diagonal standing in spite of sloppy keyboard key releases.
- Improved ball handling... with losing ball on sharp turns.
- Sprint meter.
- Palette swapping for customizable team colors (need a UI for this still).
- Bird Game with terribly minimal art.
- Simple kicking game working for free-play mode only.
- Expanded lobby from 8 to 24 players.
- New placeholder art. (Sigh, this takes a ton of time... and I'm only somewhat good at it.)
0.0.1 - 2020-09-28
- First public release of what I could build during the 48-hour New Mexico Game Jam 2020.
- Basic lobby code working for multiple players (with P2P connections made through a free online database).
- Signaling code working for controller input and player and ball states.
- Sprite animation foundation built for multiple character sprites even though I have only a free spritesheet from Kenny.nl plugged in at the moment.
- Only one game mechanic built on top of those basics: Sprinting for a few seconds and sprinting recharge.